Friday, January 28, 2011

Where we you?

I was 16 and had stayed home from school with a stomach virus. I was laying in my bed watching the launch on TV. Back then, we didn't have 759 TV channels and news on 24 hours a day. The local station had interrupted regular programming and was airing the lift off of the shuttle. I still remember thinking it was all a mistake, that just a piece of the shuttle must have exploded. How could it just explode? I remember crying, thinking about how horrible it must have been for the family members to have watched their loved ones die.



Friday, 1/28/11, is the 25th anniversary of the Challenger disaster that took the lives of 7 astronauts, including schoolteacher Christa McAuliffe.

1 comment:

Organic Meatbag said...

I remember sitting in class in the 6th Grade at Stuart Middle School, and ther shuttle had already exploded...a teacher came wheeling in the TV to show us the breaking news reports about it...crazy...