Friday, July 02, 2010

Kidney stones and Michael Buble...


Sorry for the long break guys, I have been dealing with my pesky kidney stones again. Memorial Day weekend I started getting the feeling I was about to pass one on my right side. I tried to ignore it, and it kinda went away. For those of you who are new to the blog, I tend to make my stones REALLY big. They don't like to pass on their own, and I have to have a procedure called a lithotripsy done to break them up so they will pass.

I was able to hang on for a couple more weeks, but by June 11th, I was in the emergency room. The ER doc could see stones in both kidneys, but they looked small enough to pass. So, I came home and called my Urologist. I wasn't able to get an appointment with him until the next Friday. The next week was filled with pain, nausea and just plain feeling bad. On the 18th, I saw my Urologist and he scheduled me for surgery the next morning, Saturday at 8:00am. I felt really bad because it was Fathers Day weekend, but it was then or I would have to wait until Wednesday.

I arrived at the hospital the next morning and the surgery took place. Only this time, the surgery was a little different. He wasn't able to perform the lithotripsy, the stone was embedded in my kidney and looked as if it was not going to pass on its own. Sooooo, my doc went all up into my kidney and grabbed the stone. OUCH! When I woke up in recovery, the first thing I realized is that I had a stent. A stent is a catheter that must be placed in the tube between the kidney and the bladder to ensure swelling doesn't block urine flow or the passage of any stones. The stent feels like there is a blow torch in your bladder each time you use the bathroom and when idle, it's just constant irritation, burning and pain. And, the stent usually has to be in at least 5-7 after surgery. It's really a great time! There are several different sizes, I have a picture below so you can get the idea of what they look like. My doc and I have a deal...he uses the smallest stent possible and I won't stalk him the entire time I have to wear it.



I had the surgery on Saturday morning and I was still not able to stand up straight or walk very far without having to sit down on Wednesday. I had an appointment to get the stent out Friday afternoon, but after a really bad day on Wednesday, I paged my DR and he agreed to take the stent out a day early. Which was really good for me, I needed the extra time to recover because we had plans to go to the lake last weekend with some friends.

Tuesday we had tickets to see Michael Buble in Indianapolis. HE WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!


Wednesday, on our way home we took the kids to The Indianapolis Children's Museum. It is the best museum we have ever taken the kids to. It is really interesting, for the young and the young at heart. If you have never been, I would highly recommend it the next time you are near Indianapolis, you won't be sorry.


1 comment:

greta130 said...

Yes I am JUST NOW reading this. I've neglected you. I'm sorry! The stint is Satan's creation. I think I cried the whole time mine was in. I'm just a good sport like that. :) I think I will beat up the next Dr that tries to do that to me. In the recovery room. With a shoehorn.

Hope you're feeling better. *hugs*