Friday, May 21, 2010

The house that built me...

I love this new song by Miranda Lambert. Isn't it funny how a song can bring up so many memories and tell a story that could relate to so many people...

When I was engaged to my ex, my parents were building a house and selling the house my brothers and I grew up in. We talked about it and decided we would buy my parents house. I was so happy my childhood home would stay in the family. I really wasn't ready to let go of all the memories we had made in our house. It was also nice if something was broken or if we needed help fixing something I could just call my dad and he was familiar with the house he had lived in for 21 years.

I loved that old house. I brought my new babies home from the hospital to the house my parents brought their children home too. I put my girls on the school bus in the same driveway my brothers and I stood in many years before. My oldest daughter slept in the same bedroom that was mine while I was growing up. We would plant a garden every spring in the same patch of yard as my Dad many springs before. I would hang clothes on our clothes line to dry, the same way Mom had while we were little.

Thinking back now, I think I believed the house had some magical powers and would keep my ex and I together. It was always a happy place for my parents, so why would it not be a happy place for us?

It's a scary thing how the house that built you can also be the house that holds memories of smothering you, tearing you down and the end of a marriage.




I am happy to say four years later, My girls and I are building new memories and we have a wonderful new man in our lives, Dunnski. We have a new home, and our girls have a happy home that is building them everyday into the wonderful women they will become.

No comments: