Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I <3 cartoons...

For a period of time from 2002-2006 I worked part time to stay at home with my girls. It was really great spending the extra time with them. I always felt a tremendous amount of guilt working full time while they were little and taking them day care. I feel like I missed so much while they were babies. There were many days when I would cry all the way to work after dropping them off at day care, especially when they would cry and not want to stay. But, if you have to choose between having a roof over your head and money for food or taking your kids to daycare...there really isn't a choice, is there?

So, when I got the opportunity to go the part-time, I jumped at the chance. Cork was 7 and Ash was 3 at the time. When Cork would get on the bus to go to school, I would go back to bed and snuggle with Ash who was my best snuggler baby, Cork was just not a snuggler when she was little. Ash would call it cuggling or to cuggle, it was soooo cute. We would usually get up around nine, just in time for her favorite cartoons, (and mine). We would move our cuggling to the couch in the family room and watch Maggie and Ferocious Beast, Bear in the Big Blue House, Oswald, Max and Ruby and many others.




Once she was settled, I would make us breakfast and start the routine of our day. Housework, of course, was a never ending job, but it was well worth it when I could take a break for a little smooch from my little warm bundle of sweetness. There was always something so comforting about being home with the background noise of the familiar cartoons I became so accustomed to. I don't know how to explain it, but if I am home alone now and I'm feeling uneasy, I will turn on Noggin or Nick Jr, it takes me back to those days and makes me feel at ease. I just wish I could bring back the little cuggly three year old on the couch who thought I was the best person on earth. I really miss that sometimes.

In the afternoon, Cork would get home from school and we would make projects, read, play outside or just hang out.

It really was a great time in my life I will never forget, and I hope they don't either.

1 comment:

Jerasphere said...

Completely understand this. The day I found out that Chuck Jones had died, I cried. The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show was the one thing that was constant in my life growing up. I completely understand this and think it is so special that you have that memory.