Friday, June 26, 2009

"the birds, the bees and the butterflies"

Okay...I know what you are thinking, "What the hell? You haven't had the talk yet with your 14 year old daughter?"


While I have talked to her about certain things, like, her period and what boys are thinking about at this age, (she has rather large bewbs, and the boys like to hug her). I have not really explained everything to her from A-Z. It is really strange, I just keep putting of the inevitable. I put together a quick list of some of my excuses:

* the dog at my notes
* there was laundry to do
* there was the one time I started the conversation, but the phone rang
* I was really hoping her sex ed class at school would cover everything for me
* I fell asleep

I have no formal training in this area. My mother told me, and I quote, "Boys only want one thing and they will test you to see how far you will let them go. Never let a boy touch you, sex is not good and it hurts." And then, I was handed a set of 4 books on female reproduction and sex. I will never forget these books, they were red and came in a red cardboard slipcover. Book 3 was about S-E-X. I read that book over and over looking for the sentence that would say that sex was bad and would hurt....I never found it. But I believed it, because my mother told me so.

I want to tell her that sex is a beautiful experience between two people who love each other. I don't want my daughter to be afraid of sex. But, on the other hand, I don't want her to think I am giving her a free pass to have sex. After this....I have no clue what to say, other than, "never let a boy touch you, sex is not good." Damn, I wish I had kept those little red sex books.


2 comments:

Ryan The Intern said...

I love that comic, I read it every day, and here's another one about that topic.

kristi said...

Ugh..this one is hard. My daughter told my niece I was so WILD - I told my daughter I wasn't a virgin when I married because I wanted to be honest.

Now I wonder if I should have lied my ass off.