Thursday, May 28, 2009

How old is too old?

The headline reads...66-Year-Old to Be Oldest British Woman to Give Birth. Think about it, when Elizabeth Adeney turns 85, her child will still be a teenager.


I can see both points of view on this story. Internet blogs have been quoted as saying that Ms. Adeney is showing an incredible act of "breathtaking selfishness" by deciding to have in vitro fertilization at her age.

My hormonal female parts that ached for in my 20's, and, at times still longs to have a baby screams, "if this woman wants a baby and she can afford the means to impregnate herself...then more power to her." Every woman deserves the chance to be a mother and to experience pregnancy and childbirth. It is a wonderful adventure like no other you will ever encounter. I believe, it is a very cool honor women have to be able to grow another human being inside our bodies. I will never forget the first time I felt my babies move inside me or when I saw the ultrasound pictures and could see their little hands and feet. I would never want to refuse the joy of being of mother to any woman because she was merely too old to bear a child on her own.

Now, the logical and rational side of me, that would be my brain and body that requires at least 8 hours or more sleep a night, screams, "66 years old? Are you kidding me?"

I don't think it was an accident that women stop menstruating later in life, thus rendering us infertile. There is a reason why our younger bodies are better suited to carry a successful pregnancy.

In the end, I wish Ms. Adeney best wishes and a healthy birth and baby. AND, I really hope she has a nanny.


5 comments:

Guillermo de la Varner said...

Hell, doctors say risk factors sky rocket for women over 34, at 66 she must be good as dead. I agree with your thoughts on this, their is something in a woman(not me)(that's what she said) that naturally consumes them thoughts of babies. My soon to be exwife, wants like 8 kids, I'll never understand it and thank god I won't have too. Let the old lady live her life, this may be the best time to have kids: Retired, drawing social security and maybe a pension, the house is paid off. Not a damn thing to do but go to the zoo and watch the monkeys "touch" themselves.

Charmed said...

You are correct, babies do consume my thoughts at times. I was in Target tonight and I walked past the baby aisle. The smell of baby powder filled my nose and I was immediately drawn in. I would say it is just the memories of having my two girls. But, I got the same feeling before I was pregnant with my first baby, and I had no memories or smells to trigger a memory. Make sense?

I don't think men will ever understand it. I know that in my first marriage, I had children not because I loved my husband, but because I wanted to have a baby. Both times I was struck with the baby fever, my ex was not.

What I am trying to say is, that it makes a woman, or at least me, I think I would feel complete to really love someone and make a baby. To not just get pregnant because you are married and that is what married people do. Do you know what I mean?

Guillermo de la Varner said...

Absolutely, my wife would have a baby right now with me and we are getting divorced. Not because she wants more child support, but because she feels that "natural" urge to do so.
Sometimes I get a little baby feverish, when I see a new dad with his newborn, but not to the point that I must have child right away. It is probably just wanting to relive those beautiful little moments when they are so young, more so than biological necessity. Don't get me wrong, I have millions of urges to "attempt" procreation, just not specifically aimed at having a child.

Cairo Typ0 said...

Hi, visiting from BPOTW! :)

I think everyone has those "ooga chucka" moments like Ally McBeal did. Where you see babies in everything. I have them from time to time but then Hubby gives me a glass of wine and tells me keep drinking. LOL

Jeve (aka John and Steve) said...

Her body, her right! But I agree let's hope she has a nanny!

Saw this via Best Posts of the Week. Mine was featured too!

John
http://johnandstevearehavingababy.blogspot.com