Wednesday, April 15, 2009

You want me to do what with what?

So, my left hand has been going numb for a while and I ignored it for several weeks. It became really annoying so I went to the doctor, I assumed I had carpel tunnel since I work at a desk all day. After an x-ray, a month of physical therapy that made me wince in the fetal position and finally and an MRI....it was determined that I had 3 compressed discs and a pinched nerve in my neck.

I am scheduled to begin the epidural blocks in my neck next week. An epidural block is an injection of medications into the epidural space. The epidural space is the area around your spinal cord and spinal nerves. Medications injected include local anesthetics (drugs like Novocain) and steroids (the strongest anti-inflammatory drugs). These medicines act on the nerves to stop them from transmitting pain signals. It is only a temporary solution, but I will take what I can get at this point.

And at home, I am supposed to use this contraption....


I am going to wait until Dunnski is home before I try to use this for the first time, I am just the person who would accidentally hang myself trying to use this thing.

4 comments:

bonsairick said...

Mandy and Yesh might lend you some of their Sea Monkeys to put in the water bag. That would give you something to watch anyway.

Good luck with that. Sorry you're hurting.

Charmed said...

That is a GREAT idea. I am sure there are lots of babies by now!

Thanks for the luck...I think I am gonna need all I can find!

Fiona said...

You're going to end up with a long neck!!!

So sorry to hear about this, am battling my own issues with tendinitis and numb fingers. It pretty much sucks, doesn't it hon but I'll be thinking of you. Just wondering if mixing up a large vodka tonic in the bag and attaching some sort of straw thingy might help, so long as you drink slowly to maintain the weight ;)

And now I have a sore hip, too, but that could be the result of an over-enthusiastic Easter break ;)

Charmed said...

Fi: I know what you mean, the numbness and tingling in my hand is driving me nuts. I like your vodka idea, I will def have to give that a try!! I hope you have the best of luck clearing up your issues as well.