Monday, September 01, 2008

Tomato Pie

I made a couple of tomato pies today. They were so easy to make and with all of the tomatoes we have now from the garden, I may need to find some other tomato recipes.




2 - 9 inch pie crusts (deep dish if you like lots of tomatoes)
3 to 4 tomatoes
1/4 c. green onion
1/2 c. sour cream*
1 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tsp. dried basil (I used fresh basil)

Bake one pie crust at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 400 degrees. Line pie crust with tomatoes that are thickly sliced. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, basil and green onions.

Mix sour cream with cheddar cheese. Spread over tomato slices being sure to spread evenly and then top pie with other unbaked crust sealing edges. Bake 35 minutes. Serve hot and bubbly.

*Recipe called for mayonnaise but I used sour cream instead, I am not a big mayo fan.

5 comments:

Fiona said...

I've never heard of tomato pie but that sounds deeeeeelish! I totally agree with the substitution of sour cream for the mayo, I'm a big sour cream and crème fraîche fan. When I have an oven, I'm going to try this one :)

Charmed said...

I had never heard of it either until I had a piece at our local Farmer's Market. I was hooked, it was soooo good.

I just had a piece of this pie, it is pretty good, not like the one at the FM. I am not sure if that lady would give up her recipe though! She charges $25 for a whole pie!!

Fiona said...

*slaps down $25* sold!!!!

Dunnski Love said...

Dunnski can vouch for the goodness of this pie. And he can do so in the third person.

Fiona said...

Does that mean Dunnski got an extra piece of pie?? *L*