Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Still looking for the right meds...


My youngest has now been on her ADHD medication for nearly two months. We are already on our 3rd "new" medication. She has had really bad stomach pains with each one, which is one of the side effects of the medication. Her stomach was cramping so bad yesterday, she was crying and begging me to take her the doctor. I made an appointment this morning and she spent the day at work with Dunnski and I. Because of the stomach pain, she has not been eating like normal. At her visit today, her weight had dropped by 12lbs since the middle of June. She is only 9, she does not have any extra reserves to lose. We are to try to get her to eat right before bed, a 4th meal, the doc called it. The medication should be out of her system by then and she should have an appetite. I hope it works.

I am happy to say that she is improving in her concentration and focus. She brought home a test last week and she had scored a 95%. That is really great for the first two weeks of school. Last week, I was able to complete the process of getting her an IEP (Individual Education Plan) with her school. She will get individualized attention and the extra help she needs to exceed. I am so happy that this process is over, the testing and the fighting the system, when all you want is to make the learning process easier for your child. It would be so simple if all children were the same and learned the exact same way, but unfortunately that is not the case.

3 comments:

Descanter said...

I'm no doctor and don't even play one on TV and I'm sure she needs the meds ... the docs just have to figure out the right ones and dosage for her.

That said, have you tried putting her in soccer or volleyball or a high-energy sport (tennis, maybe?) that will drain her physically? Not only would it be good for her health, but it would possibly help her mind slow down some. Just a thought, hopefully a helpful one.

Charmed said...

Thanks for the tips. I hope this medication works, and the side effects are not as bad as with the other two.

She played softball in the spring, but she was quickly bored with it. We have thought about soccer, but wanted to wait until school started. She has a tutor that comes to the house 2x a week also. I wanted to make sure we had time for homework.

kristi said...

My friend's son has ADHD. She said he forgets to eat...he is very thin. I hope you find a med. that works!