Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I know we are doing something right...

Our oldest went to a friends house yesterday after school on the bus. About an hour after she arrived I received a frantic call from her and she was crying something 'had happened'. Now, as a mother, my stomach dropped and my heart began to race. My mind quickly went to the thoughts any mothers would of a 13yr old girl who looks like she is 18, and who has more curves than a country back road.

I asked, "WHAT HAPPENED?" She said she didn't want to tell me because I would freak out. I again, said loudly, "WHAT HAPPENED?!?" She said her and her friends walked to the woods and her friends asked her if she wanted to 'get high' with them. They were apparently going to sniff paint. Thank God, Cork has a sensible head and said "NO" and walked away. She called my Mom, who lives probably 2000 ft (if that) from this little hoodlums house, and my mother came and got her. Cork had already left the situation and walked up the street and was waiting for her ride.

WTF is wrong with kids these days? These girls are 13 years old and they are sniffing paint! Later, Cork told me that her other friend cuts herself and is very depressed, sometimes suicidal. This is heavy stuff, way too heavy for children to be carrying around. What is wrong? When I was in middle school it was a totally different world than today. Even the kids look different. I have pictures of me when I was 13 and I looked NOTHING like my daughter does now at 13. Is it in the water? Is global warming? I want answers damn it!!

7 comments:

littlemansmom said...

Sigh...you ARE doing something right...a LOT right...and good for her for making up her own mind instead of being pressured....

Congrats mom, on raising a wonderful, smart, focused and level-headed daughter!

kristi said...

Oh my gosh. Sounds like stories my daughter tells me. She said one girl at her school is all emo....(short for emotional) and she cuts herself. So sad.

Good for your daughter for walking away. She deserves a pat on the back,and so do you!

ummmhello said...

Good for her! Your daughter did a VERY brave thing. Good for YOU for teaching her well.

Descanter said...

Tell her how proud you are of her. She did a brave thing. Something like that isn't easy to do at her age.

Good for her and good for you, Ms. Mom.

Gypsydoodlebug said...

Horrible!! That girl's got a good head on her shoulders. Did you call the other mom?

Charmed said...

All: Thanks everyone, she is a good kid. I am soooo glad she made the right decision and walked away.

Mandy: No, they do not have a home phone.

I did however call the little hoodlums cell phone and have a short chat with her.

Melinda Zook said...

Thank goodness your daughter has her head on shoulders right. Yes, these kids are nuts nowadays. I have no idea what I am going to do when my kids get to that age...probably start drinking...heavily.

Seriously though, we all did some crazy things when were kids but now, it just seems to be more intensified. I hope your daughter's friend who cuts herself gets help and fast. That is not something to mess around with. We shouldn't wait because we are afraid to say something, it needs to get out in the open so someone can help.