Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Judge Not


This is an excellent post written by Maeve's Mom as a guest blogger on A Bun's Life. If you are a Mommy or Daddy, this is a post you need to read.

Maeve's Mom talks of her daughter having a fit over a piece of ice. A simple piece of ice that fell on the floor. I totally understand. My youngest, who is now 9, used to chase leaves in the yard and put them under the mat in the living room. She wanted to save ALL the leaves, she did not want them to blow away.

Don't get me wrong, she has had a laundry list of odd behaviors. And, I too, have been angered and had my heart broken by my family thinking that my child was manipulative or just acting ridiculous.

Each child is different and unique. That is why they are called 'children', they are not little adults. Their brains do not function like grown up brains do, they cannot rationalize like adults can. As parents we are to nurture our children into the best possible adults they can be. Give them a loving home that they feel safe in.

Since my divorce I have noticed a great deal of change in my daughter. We have entered her in counseling, which has been a tremendous help. I highly recommend counseling/therapy for any child who has had any major change in their life, whether it be a move, divorce or death. She has been diagnosed with ADHD and with a Sensory Processing Disorder. She is currently taking ADHD medication that is drastically improving her concentrating and focusing skills. School started yesterday and she had a great first day. We are very excited to see if she continues to thrive on her new medication.

To read the entry, click here.

2 comments:

ummmhello said...

You are sooo right. I've used that phrase to my own mother - they're children, not mini adults. Even when they're fighting, whining or otherwise BEING KIDS, I'm so thankful to be their mother. And I tell them so every night.

Tony said...

So true, they are unique individuals - give them room to be themselves while protecting and trying to guide. On the divorce issue, my and my sibling's lives changed dramatically after our parent's divorce, but it was best for all.