Wednesday, December 05, 2007

I am not ready for the teenage years...

although it is way too late to put her back in her my belly, she is 5'6" and 120lbs. My friends with middle schoolers warned me that the transition from 6th to 7th grade would be tough. I didn't want to believe them. There are days when I don't even recognize my daughter. She has matured into a young lady with a body of a 16 year old, but she still has the mind of a 12 year old. I forget that sometimes, and think I am trying to reason with an adult. But, she is not an adult. Even though she wants to be treated like one, but only when she wants her way. When it comes to doing her chores and helping me around the house...not so much. She is at that 'ME' stage, which I don't remember going through. So, the point to my post...

She started asking me earlier in the week if she could have two friends spend the night Friday night. I thought about it. I thought about the fact that when I ask her to do something I get 14 excuses as to why she can't be bothered to help or how she was about to do something else. I also thought about how she never does her chores without me asking and asking and asking. So I decided that until she has 'earned' the privilege, there will be NO friends coming over. So, tonight she calls me on my way home from work to ask me if only ONE friend can come over and spend the night Friday night. I ask her if she remembers our conversation from earlier in the week. She says she does, but this is totally different because this involves only one friend NOT two. Ahhhhh....No, it's really the same and the answer is still...NO.

So, I pick her up at my Mom's house and we are headed up our driveway, which is a full minute drive, if it is that long. She tells me she knows what she wants for her birthday that is in May. Now, I hope you are sitting down, because I was in the car, which is a VERY good thing! Are you ready? She wants an addition to her room. A new bathroom built on to her room. A new room built on to our new house that was built one year ago!! Oh. My. Gawd. I would have tried to stuff her back in right then if I thought she would fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

MariaG097 said...

Tell her if you build this addition, Aly and I will come!

(To live in it, of course!)

Melinda Zook said...

That is too funny. I am so afraid of when this time comes with my kids. Where do they come up with this stuff? Is it TV shows or what? Alls I have have to say is Good luck!!