Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Migraines suck

Woke up at 5am with a migraine. Can't really complain, haven't had a bad one in about 7 months now. I've been taking Topamax for a year and half, and it's helped tremendously. There are pros and cons to Topamax:

* It can cause weight loss. I lost 15lbs the first two months I took it, but then gained all of it back and more.

* Can cause kidney stones. Hmmm...do I live with migraines or the occasional trip to the ER passing a jagged rock through my kidney to my bladder??

* WILL cause a prickly sensation in your hands, feet and legs. Don't know why, but it does. Not all the time, usually only for about two hours after you take the medication.

* Changes in taste - Anything with carbonation will taste flat. This may be how I lost so much weight, I quit drinking soft drinks.

* Topamax is also called by people who take it "Stupamax", because it literally makes you stupid. You will not be able to concentrate, you will lose coordination and your ability to speak without stuttering. I know this sounds bad, but if it takes away the headaches, I am game. And hey, it only lasted a few weeks and then I was smart again! Yay me!!

1 comment:

Idiot Savant said...

My sister had horrible migraines for years. She finally got a doctor that told her to cut back her caffeine intake, so she stopped drinking coffee and won't eat chocolate and it has worked for her. Of course, she does some stupid shit, so she may be taking that medicine.