Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Kidney stones suck...

I am at work yesterday and the pain hits me like a smack in the back of the head. Now, I have passed somewhere around twelve of these little boogers so I know what they feel like. So, I run to the potty, cause I ALWAYS "heave ho" when I pass a stone. Then I decide it is time to head to the ER. I get there about 5:15 and do the triage and registration and finally get in a room at 6:30. In the meantime, I am given a large popcorn bucket to throw up in until I can be given medicine to settle my stomach. Anyhoo, the doc doesn't come in until 7:20 and orders pain medicine and phenergan. Whew, it is almost over, I THINK. I don't see the nice nurse with the medicine until 8:oo. I thought I was going to die at this point. I had already covered myself with a sheet with my toes sticking out, ready for a toe tag. After I get the medicine...Ahhhhhh, I am then wheeled off the get a CT scan. Once that is done I have a bag of fluids dripped into my IV.
The doc comes back in with very good news, I passed the stone!! My kidney is a little swollen and irritated, but it just spit out a rock!! And by this time, I was very sleepy and ready to cuddle in for the night. But the hospital had other plans. So, at 9:40 I was sent home.

4 comments:

Matt K. said...

Damn... I do not envy you one iota, girl. I've been told I was at risk before, but an improved diet and no more booze has helped - perhaps your doc can make a recommendation?

And it kinda sucked that they booted you so fast. But I guess they needed the bed, and they ain't exactly a hotel...(and they probably figured your insurance wouldn't pay for an overnighter)

Charmed said...

My stones are made of calcium, my body doesn't absorb calcium right. So, I always have a couple in the works. IT SUCKS. Yea, when I left the ER, there was a 4 hour wait to be seen.

Matt K. said...

Well, go easy on the calcium, OK? I wouldn't want one of those things rattlin' 'round inside o' me, that's fer sure...

Are there no drugs that help you digest calcium in more productive ways?

Charmed said...

No, I just have to stay away from calcium enriched foods, vitamins with calcium, and so on. It sucks, but I have had so many, I just sick back and wait for the next one.