Monday, July 23, 2007

Looks like a Wal-mart, smells like a Wal-mart...

By golly, it is a Wal-mart!!! Dunnski and I just got back from my first trip to the brand spanking new Wal-mart that is a whole 2 minutes from work! Which for me, is totally awesome. (Did I just say, totally awesome?) I do love my Wal-mart. The only bad thing is they have 47 registers and only 3 open everytime you go in!! What is up with that?? And they are scrambling to find a line for everyone to get into. I want to just scream "OPEN ALL OF THESE LANES AND THERE WON'T BE A PROBLEM"! Today, we were forced to check out in the jewelry department. I don't think the little old lady in jewlery was trained to check out groceries, but we made it.

I know, there are plenty of Wal-mart haters in the world, but there are plenty of other things for me to throw my hatred toward. Like people who drive with those little round glass balls hanging from their rear view mirrors, that catch the sun and blind the person behind them!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyhoo, that is another blog entry, back to my story. I mean, come on!! Where else can you go and buy... tires for you car, groceries, pick up a prescription, a toy to shut your kid up, a gallon of paint, dog food, a microwave, king size sheets and tooth paste! And when you are done with that, you can go to the bank, get your nails done and get lunch on your way out the door. Yeah, I heart Wal-mart.

3 comments:

Matt K. said...

I get where you're coming from with Wal-Mart, but they do represent a serious problem in our economy. They move into an area, out-compete all the smaller shops and some of the larger ones - helps being the world's largest retailer - and pay wages significantly lower than what people were earning before they arrived, with fewer if any benefits.

Read "Nickel and Dimed in America" if you're interested in one writer's personal insights. She goes to four different parts of the country, taking dfferent low-paying jobs at each place, and tries to make a living on just that income alone. She takes in account the whole nine yards: groceries, shelter, gas for the car, etc.

Idiot Savant said...

Now, if it is the Wal-Mart that I am thinking about then that picture does not do it justice. After all, this is an upscale joint with a decorative brick facade and courtyard, but in the end it is the same bargain prices and setup when you get inside.

Charmed said...

Yeah, it is. No, this is not a pic of the new upscale snooty tooty Walmart in the East End. :-)