Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Kentucky Living, October 1996

An old worn and stained Kentucky Living magazine folded to page 35. Ahhh, yes, I can remember the day it came in the mail, I know, I really need a life. I sat down and started to thumb through it, looking for any fall festivals in the area, and instead, found an apple pie recipe. And not just any apple pie recipe, this is THE apple pie recipe. It's funny, but I just realized tonight looking at this magazine, that my ex and I always made this pie together, dozens of times for holidays, parties and church gatherings. I can't remember a single time we made the pies, we always made two, alone. I am not really sure why we did this, but I have to say, it is a happy memory. Just two people cutting up apples and baking. We were still two unhappy, lonely people who had two children together, but something was different. As I write this now, crying I still can't tell you what it is, but I sure wish I knew.

Apple Pie

1 double pie crust prepared
3 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix 1-1/2 cups sugar, flour and cinnamon together. Mix with apples. Put pie crust into pie dish and fill with apple mixture. (It will be full and rounded.) Add butter to top and put on top of crust. Seal around edges and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of sugar. Dot with butter and cut slits in top of crust. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Serves 6.
Great served hot or cold with whip cream or ice cream

2 comments:

Twinkie said...

Hang in there. :-(

Dunnski Love said...

Don't be afraid to embrace the happy memories - they are much healthier than the unpleasant ones.