Monday, June 04, 2007

To Good Friends...

I emailed an old friend today I hadn't heard from in a few weeks. We met when we both were pregnant with our youngest children, mine a girl, hers a boy. We joke that they will one day grow up, fall in love and marry. Granted, they are now almost eight years old, but no sparks are flying yet.

We are both very busy, working full time, raising families, sadly it's very easy to disconnect. Her oldest is graduating from high school this week, and will be leaving for college in the fall. Needless to say, my friend isn't doing well. She has been crying alot and she had an emotional meltdown yesterday at church during the graduation ceremony. Now, I know how she feels, I have been carrying Kleenex in my purse for the last six months.

When I was first dealing with my separation and starting my divorce, I didn't lean on her much. I don't like to burden other people with my problems, that just isn't who I am. She told me recently she felt hurt that I didn't "need" her. I didn't know I was hurting her by being distant. It wasn't that I didn't need her, it was that I didn't know what I needed.

So, I am not sure if my friend knows what she needs right now, but I offered my ear and my shoulder today for as long as she needs it. Oh yeah, and my Kleenex!!

1 comment:

Twinkie said...

Being needed is irresistabe to some people (read: ME).