Saturday, May 26, 2007

What I Loved About Sundays...


When my brothers and I were growing up, we would go to my Grandparents house every Sunday after church for dinner. I would always sit beside her in the pew and scratch a note on the bulletin that would read "what's for dinner"? And she would anxiously lean over and whisper in my ear what was waiting for us after the benediction. Man, could my Grandma cook! She would also always have Dentyne gum in her purse. When I was a kid, it was my favorite. As an adult, I can't chew it, it makes me too sad. I can remember her homemade applesauce, it was so sweet. She would make it the night before and the only problem was there was never enough. Everyone would gather around the table and my Grandad would say grace and we would eat. My Grandad had horses on his farm for some time while we were growing up so we would always pet them after we ate, they were so pretty. There was also a pond we would fish in. It was so peaceful there, I loved it. And then after lunch had settled we would have dessert. Oh my, she also knew how to bake! We continued this tradition until Grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and couldn't continue to cook. Grandma passed away in 1997 and Grandad in 2003. I miss them.

No comments: