Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Running with scissors

I woke this morning to the sound of my sump pump kicking on. Now, I knew it had not rained in a while, so something had to be wrong, right? I peeked down in the basement, expecting the worst, and didn't see anything, so I scurried back up the steps and dismissed it from my mind. I jumped in the shower and continued to get ready. I was in a good mood and I put a load of clothes in the washer and straightened the kitchen a bit and I noticed the sump pump again and a couple minutes later, again. Hmmmm.....now I was getting anxious and a little nervous. The ONLY time it runs this often is when it has rained ALOT. I get the kiddos up, or try to, at least. It usually takes several tries to wake my little zombies, while I quickly fold a load of warm clothes that I just removed from the dryer. There it is again! Now, I have to go down for a closer inspection. As I make my way down the stairs, I can hear water running, I only assume it is the washer, I was wrong. As I get to the bottom of the steps and round the corner, I have Niagara friken' Falls in my basement! Yes, a beautiful trickling waterfall coming down the wall gathering into a graceful pond on the floor. I wanted to cry. You might be thinking the same thing I was thinking, turn off the washer, you have busted a hose!!! So I ran up the stairs and did that and ran back down the stairs only to find the water still falling!!! What could it be???? My mind then races back to last evening when I asked my oldest (who will be 12 in a week) to water the flowers. You see where I am going with this huh!?!?! She has a problem listening and following through with tasks. Now, I know what you are thinking, since I already know this, I should have checked behind her, but just stick with me. She watered half of the flowers and turned the spigot off and came inside. I asked her if she had watered the ones on the porch, to which she replied "you didn't ask me to water those." Oh, silly me, what WAS I thinking? So, I sent her back out to finish the job. This is when she forgot to to turn the spigot off, when I asked her to complete the task she didn't finish the first time. Her cousin had walked over and they had started talking and she forgot that she had even turned the water on! Woops!! So the water ran all night long, under the house, down into the basement. The funny thing is, when she came in last night, I asked her if she had turned the water off and she said YES! OMG, was she thinking about the first time she turned it off? Was she thinking at all?? Meanwhile, my glorious morning continues when my youngest (who is 7) decides she HATES the shorts I laid out for her, and she is trying to take them off without unbuttoning them. I am downstairs trying to decide if I should try to clean up the water mess now or wait until tonight, and I can hear M-O-M-M-Y!! Now, not to worry, I know my child is spastic and it doesn't take much to set her off, so I wasn't that concerned by her screams, neither are the neighbors.

2 comments:

Megs said...

Wow...I hope your basement didn't get too much damage...

Charmed said...

Megs:
After I cleaned up the water, it doesn't look that bad. But, I can't see the damage it did in the wall and under the foundation. :-(